Real Estate M&A
Wachtell Lipton’s Real Estate Department has a leading practice focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate governance, restructurings and joint ventures across the REIT, real estate, hospitality and gaming sectors. We consistently play an active role in major transactions in these sectors, with particular emphasis on large-scale public company M&A and strategic transactions. We have played a leading role in the redevelopment of the World Trade Center and in many of the significant REIT mergers, buyouts and takeovers over the last decade.
Our lawyers are consistently ranked as leading real estate and REIT M&A advisors, and write and speak frequently on these topics, including the REITS: Mergers and Acquisitions treatise, The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review, and the other publications listed below and here. They also co-chair NYU’s and PLI’s annual conferences on REITs and REIT M&A.
- REIT M&A: Use and Overuse of Special Committees,
February 20, 2019.
- REIT M&A in 2019,
January 4, 2019.
- REITs: Mergers and Acquisitions,
Law Journal Press, 2018 (first published 2006).
- The Real Estate M&A and Private Equity Review,
co-editor and co-author of U.S. chapter, Law Business Research, London, Third Ed. 2018 (Second Ed. 2017; First Ed. 2016).
- REIT M&A in a Complex Market,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, June 23, 2018.
- Observations from the NYU REIT Symposium,
March 23, 2018.
- REIT and Real Estate M&A in 2016,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, January 14, 2018.
- Lawyer Limelight: Robin Panovka and Adam Emmerich,
in Lawdragon Magazine, January 7, 2018.
- REIT M&A, Activism and Governance – Ten Themes for 2018,
January 2, 2018.
- Taking REITs Private - The Playbook is Back in Play,
in Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, October 21, 2015.
- Treasury Department Seeks to Curb "Cash-Rich" and REIT Spin-Offs,
in Columbia Law School’s Blog on Corporations and the Capital Markets, September 16, 2015.
- Only Death, Taxes and REITs Are Inevitable,
in Premises, Spring 2015.
- Wachtell: Expect more REIT M&A in 2015, but few privatizations,
in SNL Financial, January 7, 2015.
- REIT M&A Update: Maryland Court Upholds Special Committee’s Approval of Acquisition of REIT’s External Manager,
October 31, 2013.
- Is There a ‘New Normal’ for REIT M&A?,
in Citi Research Equities, April 12, 2013.
- Industry Observers Have Mixed Outlook on REIT M&A,
on REIT.com, January 17, 2013.
- Rebuilding the World Trade Center,
in Cornell Real Estate Review Vol. 10, July 2012.
- Maryland Court Confirms Application of Business Judgment Rule in All-Stock REIT Merger,
June 6, 2011.
- Sixth Circuit Upholds Tortious Interference Verdict Against Auction Loser’s Overbid: Over-bidder Must Reimburse Winner For Causing Price Bump,
May 18, 2011.
- REIT M&A Transactions-Peculiarities and Complications,
in The Business Lawyer, Volume 55 Number 2 (February 2000).